Difference between revisions of "Changelog"
From Syslinux Wiki
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
Changes in 3.51:
Changes in 3.51:
Revision as of 03:43, 11 December 2007
Changes in 3.53:
- Fix bugs related to the $PnP BIOS functionality on some platforms.
- PXELINUX: Fix the "naked" version of :: (suppress prefix.)
- elf.c32: better error messages.
- Faster operation under Intel VT virtualization.
- PXELINUX: Fix DHCP bootfile option.
- mkdiskimage: Support more than 1024 cylinders.
- (Hopefully) fix installer on non-x86 platforms.
- Fix shuffle_and_boot_rm, used by linux.c32.
- Fix shuffle_and_boot_pm on 386/486.
- ISOLINUX (at least): fix bss memory overwrite hang.
- MBR: Fix booting from logical partitions.
- Code cleanups.
Changes in 3.52:
- Handle capitalized F-key commands in the menu system.
- Fix padding error when loading multiple ramdisks.
- Workaround for VMware crashing when trying to print a message during early kernel boot (does not seem to work, consider deleting.)
- chain.c32: add the ability to search for a specific MBR signature at runtime.
- Fall back to the server identity option if the siaddr field in the DHCP header isn't set. This seems to match the behaviour of most PXE stacks.
- mkdiskimage: give the generated disk image an MBR signature.
- MEMDISK: Fix failures on some BIOSes.
- Simple menu system: new "MENU HIDDEN" option to not display the menu unless the user presses a key.
- Simple menu system: support MD5-encrypted passwords (modern Unix standard style, with "$1$" prefixes.)
- pcitest.c32: now functions as a full "lspci". Thanks to Erwan Velu for this work.
- MEMDISK: Make EDD actually work.
- ISOLINUX: Fix for certain broken CD-ROM BIOSes which randomly corrupted register FS.
- Simple menu system: fix memory overwrite bug that caused some systems to lock up or behave weirdly.
- Fix building on 64-bit systems without a 32-bit libc installed.
Changes in 3.51:
- EXTLINUX: Fix failure to find the configuration file.
Changes in 3.50:
- New keywords allow the type of file to be specified in the configuration file.
- It is now supported to load a different configuration file with the CONFIG keyword.
- Fix API call 0x0019 (Read Disk.)
- MENU AUTOBOOT, MENU TABMSG, MENU PASSPROMPT allows internationalization of menu messages.
- A new feature, TEXT HELP, allows the administrator to set a multi-line help message for individual selections.
- Fix API call 0x0012 (Cleanup, shuffle and boot.)
- New API call "Cleanup, shuffle and boot to flat protected mode"
- New API call "Cleanup, shuffle and boot to real mode", similar to API call 0x0012 but allows arbitrary register setting.
- Introduce a library interface for loading arbitrary binary formats with relatively easily understood code. See the elf.c32 module for an example on how to use it.
- New module elf.c32, to load a protected-mode ELF kernel.
- MBR (old and new): Fix bug in CHS mode when LBA > 65535*sectors.
- vesamenu: fix decoding of palettized PNG images.
- Update the Linux kernel boot protocol.
- PXELINUX: Press Ctrl-N at the boot prompt to read out the network info.
- Instead of the (non-existent) MAC, use the client identifier for networks like Infiniband and Firewire/1394.
- Add a new INCLUDE command to the core syslinux parser.
- Allow binding help text to F11 and F12.
- F-key help now available in the simple menu system.
- Disabled the polling for ARP during idle. It is simply too slow on some (broken!) PXE stacks.
- PXELINUX: also try to fetch the config file based on UUID.
- SYSLINUX/EXTLINUX: New RAID mode (-r) which calls the BIOS to load the next device (typically the next drive) on boot failure.
Changes in 3.36:
- MEMDISK: Disable EDD by default on floppy disks. EDD can be enabled with the "edd" option and disabled with "noedd". This (hopefully) should make Ghost work again.
- SYSLINUX: "unix" installer now uses Linux ioctls instead of using libfat.
- New MBR which can boot from logical partitions.
- SYSLINUX: Fix bug in detecting special extensions which was introduced in 3.35 :(
- PXELINUX: Unbreak chainbooting FreeBSD (and possibly others.)
Changes in 3.35:
- MEMDISK: New "safeint" mode.
- MEMDISK: Be more compliant with the PnP BIOS spec.
- MEMDISK: Turn on EDD support by default.
- MEMDISK: Try to work on some machines on which it would not work when there was no floppy drive in the system.
- Simple menu system: fix serial console support (broken in 3.30).
- SYSLINUX: Support subdirectories. Like ISOLINUX, the "current directory" is the directory in which syslinux.cfg is found; this is searched for in the sequence /boot/syslinux, /syslinux, /. As a side benefit, label names like "linux-2.6.18" and "linux-2.6.19" are now supported.
To install ldlinux.sys in a subdirectory, pass the -d directory option to the SYSLINUX installer.
This work was sponsored by slax.org (thanks, Tomas!)
- New API call: read disk.
- Invoke ONERROR on initrd load failure.
Changes in 3.31:
- The simple menu system (menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32) now support loading more than one configuration file at a time, using MENU INCLUDE or by specifying multiple filenames.
- The MENU COLOR statement can now control the shadowing mode.
Changes in 3.30:
- libcom32 extended to support graphics mode and graphical console.
- vesamenu.c32, new graphical version of the Simple Menu System, see README.menu.
- New com32 modules by Erwan Velu do selection based on CPUID or PCI devices present.
- RPM spec: add syslinux-tftpboot module; move syslinux by default to the /usr/share/syslinux directory.
- RPM spec: extlinux is now a separate package.