From Syslinux Wiki
Revision as of 22:19, 26 July 2007 by Bls (formatting)
Changes in 3.51:
- EXTLINUX: Fix failure to find the configuration file.
Changes in 3.50:
- New keywords allow the type of file to be specified in the configuration file.
- It is now supported to load a different configuration file with the CONFIG keyword.
- Fix API call 0x0019 (Read Disk.)
- MENU AUTOBOOT, MENU TABMSG, MENU PASSPROMPT allows internationalization of menu messages.
- A new feature, TEXT HELP, allows the administrator to set a multi-line help message for individual selections.
- Fix API call 0x0012 (Cleanup, shuffle and boot.)
- New API call "Cleanup, shuffle and boot to flat protected mode"
- New API call "Cleanup, shuffle and boot to real mode", similar to API call 0x0012 but allows arbitrary register setting.
- Introduce a library interface for loading arbitrary binary formats with relatively easily understood code. See the elf.c32 module for an example on how to use it.
- New module elf.c32, to load a protected-mode ELF kernel.
- MBR (old and new): Fix bug in CHS mode when LBA > 65535*sectors.
- vesamenu: fix decoding of palettized PNG images.
- Update the Linux kernel boot protocol.
- PXELINUX: Press Ctrl-N at the boot prompt to read out the network info.
- Instead of the (non-existent) MAC, use the client identifier for networks like Infiniband and Firewire/1394.
- Add a new INCLUDE command to the core syslinux parser.
- Allow binding help text to F11 and F12.
- F-key help now available in the simple menu system.
- Disabled the polling for ARP during idle. It is simply too slow on some (broken!) PXE stacks.
- PXELINUX: also try to fetch the config file based on UUID.
- SYSLINUX/EXTLINUX: New RAID mode (-r) which calls the BIOS to load the next device (typically the next drive) on boot failure.
Changes in 3.36:
- MEMDISK: Disable EDD by default on floppy disks. EDD can be enabled with the "edd" option and disabled with "noedd". This (hopefully) should make Ghost work again.
- SYSLINUX: "unix" installer now uses Linux ioctls instead of using libfat.
- New MBR which can boot from logical partitions.
- SYSLINUX: Fix bug in detecting special extensions which was introduced in 3.35 :(
- PXELINUX: Unbreak chainbooting FreeBSD (and possibly others.)
Changes in 3.35:
- MEMDISK: New "safeint" mode.
- MEMDISK: Be more compliant with the PnP BIOS spec.
- MEMDISK: Turn on EDD support by default.
- MEMDISK: Try to work on some machines on which it would not work when there was no floppy drive in the system.
- Simple menu system: fix serial console support (broken in 3.30).
- SYSLINUX: Support subdirectories. Like ISOLINUX, the "current directory" is the directory in which syslinux.cfg is found; this is searched for in the sequence /boot/syslinux, /syslinux, /. As a side benefit, label names like "linux-2.6.18" and "linux-2.6.19" are now supported.
To install ldlinux.sys in a subdirectory, pass the -d directory option to the SYSLINUX installer.
This work was sponsored by slax.org (thanks, Tomas!)
- New API call: read disk.
- Invoke ONERROR on initrd load failure.